Green Empowerment partners with rural communities and NGOs in developing countries to improve access to affordable and renewable energy, safe drinking water, sanitation systems, and fuel efficient cook stoves. Combined with community organizing, these technologies enable individuals and families to dramatically improve their quality of life by reducing disease, improving developmental outcomes, and freeing up time to focus on income generation. Rooted in our core values of social justice, sustainability and local leadership, Green Empowerment is building a pathway to prosperity by providing individuals and families with consistent access to basic resources.
Green Empowerment works with local partners around the world to strengthen communities by delivering renewable energy and safe clean water.
We envision an equitable and sustainable world where everyone has clean water, renewable energy and a healthy environment in which to grow and thrive.
- Public Benefit– All our projects, whether using communal or micro-entrepreneurial models, are geared towards providing the maximum benefit and are charitable in intent and structure.
- Project Orientation– Our work concentrates directly on the design, development, and construction of community-based renewable energy systems associated with residential electricity, economic development, potable water and watershed protection.
- Technology– We support community-based renewable energy projects that utilize small hydropower, biomass, biogas, wind and solar technology designed, built, and maintained locally.
- Social Justice– Projects must have the maximum positive impact on basic human rights such as employment, health, education, personal opportunity and other indicators of a healthy society. We also feel that for projects to be successful, both men and women must be actively involved in the development of their community renewable energy system.
- Local Leadership– We support projects that have strong community backing and leadership. Local people are trained in the skills necessary to operate and maintain their projects. We promote the leadership of local technical NGO organizations, as their skills are vital to the planning and building of the projects.
- Sustainability– Our goal is to ensure that the projects become self-sufficient soon. Each project must have a plan for long-term sustainability, both economically and environmentally. Rural electrification is supported by community tariffs for residential use of electricity as well as micro-enterprises that generate revenue for the long-term viability of the projects.
- Environmental Impact– The projects we support must include a strong environmental component. Watershed protection and community environmental planning which promotes conservation and restoration are integral to our work.